The Beautiful Island of Thassos – Greece
Located in northern Greece, the Island of Thassos (also named the Emerald Isle for its green vegetation) is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful islands in Greece and a very popular holiday destination.
Thassos is the northernmost Greek island, located in Kavala Gulf with 8 km separating it from the mainland. The only way to reach it is by ferry boat from Kavala or Keramoti. There is no airport on the island, but there are two airports on the mainland: Kavala International Airport “Alexander the Great” (KVA) – the smaller but the closest one (about 20 minutes drive from the airport to the ferry boat) – and Thessaloniki International Airport “Macedonia” (SKG) – the furthest and the larger one (around two hours drive from the airport to the ferry boat).
Why You Should Visit Thassos
1. For its beautiful landscape
As most Greek islands, Thassos has its share of beautiful sceneries with mountains covered in pine forests that descend directly into the Aegean Sea, sandy beaches and olive plantations.
2. For the Greek beaches with green and blue water
As all the Greek islands, Thassos is also surrounded by beaches with sand or gravel and waters in different shades of blue and green. It even has a natural swimming pool in a rock named Giola.
3. For the amazing Mediterranean food and wine
Thassos is an island full of tavernas that serve fresh seafood and fish, greek salads with housemade olive oil, homemade sweets, lemonade made with fresh lemons and honey, wine. Every tavern offers you freshly baked bread with olive oil or butter and cold water for free; some of them even offer you something sweet, like a small piece of cake, a piece of watermelon or some homemade jam at the end of your meal.
4. For the history of the island
Thassos is full of history and myths.
There are archeological sites attesting to its rich and old history. It seems that there was discovered the tomb of Cassius.
It is also said that Thassos was the island of the mythological Sirens that attracted the sailors with their magical singing and then killed them.
5. For its sights
If sightseeing is your passion, you have so many interesting sights to visit:
- The Archaeological Museum of Thassos – you can find it in Limenas, the capital of the Island;
- Polygnotos Vagis Municipal Museum – in Potamia; the museum was established in honor of the great sculptor with the same name;
- Archangel Michael’s Monastery – 25 km south of Limenas; it was built on a rock at the edge of the sea;
- The Old Oil Factory, dating from 1915 – in Panagia; is the only working oil factory in Greece that still uses water to produce olive oil.
instagram profile @gikovatea to see more.